C10—Math Used in International Trade and Cargo Transportation
Subscriber price: $115.00, Non-subscriber price: $150.00
Estimated total study time: 10 hours 2 minutes
This course addresses basic math used in international trade and cargo transportation. For many it will serve as a review of what they learned in school. But it also contains tips on using math to perform particular tasks, such as computing the cube of a planned shipment to determine transportation costs, converting cubic measure to the English system, determining how much water-proof sheathing will be needed to cover a large item of cargo, currency conversion and picking a good time to call a customer overseas.
Basic Math Concepts
This lesson reviews basic math concepts learned and applied through our education in math, and necessary for the practical application of math in business and cargo transportation: quantity (or value), and unit of measure.
(Estimated study time: 49 minutes)
- Basic Concepts
- Math—Who Needs It?
- How Much or How Many of What
- Quantity (Value)
- Units of Measure
- Expressing Multiples of a Unit in the Metric System
Working with Currency
This lesson teaches how to convert a value in money from one national currency to another.
(Estimated study time: 45 minutes)
- Who Needs to Know about Currencies?
- Currency Conversions
- Setting Up Currency Conversions
- Computing Currency Conversions
- Reverse Currency Conversions
Understanding & Expressing Time
This lesson addresses the 24 hour time system, time zones, and how time is communicated.
(Estimated study time: 37 minutes)
- 12-Hour and 24-Hour Time
- Time Zones
- Why Time Zones?
- GMT vs. UTC vs. Zulu Time
- The International Dateline
- Daylight Savings Time
Working with Time
This lesson addresses the practical aspect of understanding time, including why you may need to know what time it is elsewhere in the world, and how to compute time differences in a variety of circumstances.
(Estimated study time: 1 hour 35 minutes)
- Additional Topics
- Math as Used in International Commerce and Cargo Transportation
- Understanding and Expressing Time
- How Time Zones Affect Us and Our Work
- Calculating Local Times
- In Preparation for Your Assessment
Working with Linear and Area Measurement
In this lesson we review and work with linear measurement and measurement units.
(Estimated study time: 58 minutes)
- Linear Measurement
- General—Length & Distance
- Converting Linear Dimensions
- General—Conversions Needed between English System and Metric
- Setting up Linear Unit Conversions
- Computing Linear Conversions
- Area Measurement
- The Area of a Rectangle
- Converting Areas
- Length and Area Conversion Table
Computing Cubic Measurement; Container Utilization
This lesson addresses area and cubic measurement, and how to compute area and cube, especially within the context of shipping measurement.
(Estimated study time: 2 hours 11 minutes)
- Cubic Measurement ("Cube")
- Calculating Cube for Shipment Purposes
- Converting Cube
- Converting Cubic Centimeters to Cubic Meters
- Converting Cubic Feet to Cubic Meters
- Converting Cubic Inches to Cubic Feet
- Calculating Container Cube Utilization
- Cubic Measurement Conversion Table
Working with Weights and "Loads"
In this lesson we address weight, density and pressure, and the practical uses of these measures in trade and cargo transportation, such as working with transportation "loads."
(Estimated study time: 1 hour 24 minutes)
- Weight and Pressure Measurement
- Weight vs. Mass
- Units of Measure for Mass and Weight
- Static vs. Dynamic Weight
- Weight vs. Density
- Weight vs. Pressure
- What is Pressure?
- Units of Measure for Pressure
- Why Pressure is Important in Shipping
- Computing Pressure
- Working with "Loads"
Working with Temperature, Speed, Time-to-Destination and Fuel Consumption
This lesson addresses these additional types of measurement and computation used in various aspects of cargo transportation.
(Estimated study time: 1 hour 42 minutes)
- Temperature Measurement
- Units of Temperature Measure
- Use of Temperature in Commerce and Shipping
- Communicating Temperature
- Converting Temperature
- Other Measurements and Conversions
- Speed (Distance over Time)
- Expressions of Speed
- Speed Conversion
- Travel Time between Two Points
- Acceleration and Deceleration
- Fuel Consumption
- Additional Math Resources
- Additional Math Conversions