Thank you for your interest in subscribing to GISTnet.
- Access to all of the Performance Support Library. By
looking at the Table of Contents, you will get
a good idea of the current scope of information, and additional materials are
continually being added. There are currently over ten thousand explanatory
documents, glossary definitions, and exhibits relating to international trade
and transportation, plus the GISTnet Country Guides.
- Discounted fees for GISTnet training courses. These web-based
courses cover a variety of international trade, cargo transportation, freight
forwarding and customs brokerage subjects. In addition to these discounts,
which average 30%, organizational subscribers are charged by the lesson
used rather than for the entire course up-front, making GISTnet a true "pay
as you learn" system.
- Assistance from GISTnet "help desk" staff. We will endeavor to
assist you with technical and operational information within our expertise
which is not yet addressed within the GISTnet library, and, of course, with the
use and navigation of GISTnet.
- Use of GISTnet Library resources for internal company training and client
support purposes. You may request permission to print and reproduce our library
documents. So long as your request is specific as to documents, reasonable in
scope, and not for commercial purposes which extend beyond your own company
operations, and provided the documents belong to us (i.e., not a third party),
we will generally grant such permissions. Please address your request to
- A continually expanding knowledge resource. Your subscription
revenue is the means by which we maintain and expand our content in order to
continually increase the value of GISTnet subscriptions.
Access "just-in-time" information as needed to meet operational and customer
service needs. Navigate using our multi-level Table of Contents (currently over
7000 headings), hyperlinks to glossary definitions, exhibit documents, CFR
citations and web URLs, and Key Word Index to drill through all of our content
by context. This currently includes:
- All Subject-Matter Text, including in depth coverage of:
- Intermodal cargo transportation, including basic concepts,
capabilities and limitations of each transportation mode, carrier
operations and regulation, multimodal through routing, contracts of
carriage, cargo preparation, and cargo loading.
- Dangerous goods shipping, with emphasis on forwarder
- Cargo insurance coverages and claims procedures.
- Export transactions, including delivery terms, payment terms, sales
quotations, letters of credit, documentary draft collections, and
destination country documentation.
- U.S. export regulations and procedures.
- Ocean/multimodal freight forwarding, including regulations;
shipper-forwarder relationship issues and variations, indirect carriage
(NVO operations), and generic forwarding procedures.
- Glossary—currently over 6000 terms defined/explained from a
forwarder/customs broker perspective, and hyperlinked to all relevant text and
- Exhibits—a variety of reference documents (e.g., Carriage of
Goods By Sea Act (COGSA), S·W·I·F·T Message Keys,
trade articles and guides, and specimens of shipping documents and blank
- Country Guides—Our country-by-country information is written
by and for shipping professionals. In addition to what is required, we provide
a variety of how-to information on the preparation of shipping documents, plus
a variety of contacts with additional shipment-specific information and
assistance. Visit our sample pages for a preview of
the information we provide.
These services are available to subscribers at additional cost, based on
usage; training via GISTnet is typically a small fraction of the cost of
- Training Courses—GISTnet, together with our Content Partners,
offers an increasing variety of anytime, anywhere training in
international trade, cargo transportation, freight forwarding and customs
brokerage. Please see the GISTnet Course
Catalog for a current course list. These courses can also be modified to
make them company-specific by adding coverage of internal policies and
- Individual Learning Programs—Use the text, exhibit,
illustration and reference resources of the GISTnet Library to create short
study modules, and sequence them into courses created to meet the knowledge
needs of a particular job position or the growth path of a particular
individual. It is as simple as naming the learner-to-be, then clicking on text
headings from our table of contents, specifying the length of the assessment
and passing score. The GISTnet system will then create the program for the
learner to follow, report results to whomever is designated, and
create/maintain the learning record. The learner proceeds through the program
at his/her own pace, and takes practice assessments (assessments-for-learning)
until he feels ready to take an assessment-for-record. This self-paced,
"no-fault" approach facilitates greater acceptance of the program, and allows
career personnel to "fill in the gaps" in their knowledge without
embarrassment. Company policy and procedure content may be integrated into such
learning programs once this material has been converted into structured HTML
and assessment questions written. GISTnet staff can provide varying levels of
support in creating and operating learning programs.
- Qualification and Selection Assessments—Use the assessment
feature of the GISTnet Learning Programs to screen experienced job applicants,
or individuals seeking advancement, based on their knowledge and skill.
- Staff Qualification Records—The GISTnet system automatically
creates and maintains a learning/qualification record for personnel who have
embarked on a GISTnet learning program. This record can be used in roll-up
reports covering all employees involved in learning programs, with such reports
downloaded in a format which can be easily opened in a spreadsheet or database,
and thereby integrated into other company personnel records.
- "How do I access GISTnet?"
- GISTnet operates via the Internet. To gain access you need Internet access
and a web browser. Email is our preferred means of administrative communication
with our subscribers.
- "How much help will I receive from GISTnet once I begin my
- Our focus is on supporting you with trade and transportation information
and know-how, and we will be as responsive as possible with these issues. For
technical support with Internet access or browser issues, you should contact
your ISP or systems administrator.
- "How do I subscribe?"
- First, determine the type of subscription which best suits your situation.
Typically, companies engaged in international trade and transportation
subscribe, and then enable their employees to use GISTnet. If you are arranging
a subscription on behalf of your company or organization, check the
company subscription options. If you are a working
professional, and will be subscribing as an individual, you are probably a
candidate for a professional subscription. Finally, if
you are enrolled in a college or other course for which the curriculum calls
for GISTnet materials, check the courseware list for your specific course. Once
you decide on the type of subscription, the next step is completing the on-line
- "What if I don't quite fit in one of your subscription categories, or have
- Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call us at +1.310.376.3888. We will be happy to consider a customized
- "How do I pay for a subscription?"
- Subscriptions are payable on an prepaid annual basis. Payment may be made
by company or personal check, payable to GISTnet, Inc. We currently accept
credit cards through PayPal. Upon requesting a subscription, we will promptly
issue an invoice by email, and will also mail or fax it to you upon request
(please use the remarks field on the subscription request form).
- "What if I wish to cancel my subscription before it expires?"
- You may cancel your subscription to GISTnet at any time, and we will refund
pro-rata the unused portion of your subscription upon written request; just
send us an email. The only exception to this policy would be in cases in which
a negotiated subscription agreement called for a minimum subscription period,
or in the case of college courseware which is supplied on the basis of course
- "How are subscriptions renewed?"
- Subscriptions are automatically renewed upon receipt of payment for the
next annual period. We will send you a notice of expiration via email
approximately 60 days prior to expiration.
- "What do I do if my email address or other subscriber information changes?"
- It is important that we at GISTnet have your current email address, as this
is our primary means of communicating with you. Please keep us informed by
updating your user information form.
- "What do I do if I forget my username and/or password?"
- If you forget your username and/or password, but the email address you
entered when you registered or last updated your user record is still valid,
use the "Lookup Lost Password" link on our main
page, enter your email address, and our system will send your username and
password to you.
We offer individual subscriptions and
company/organizational subscriptions. The company
subscription fee is scaled on the number of users who would benefit from
access, based on job assignment. Our goal is to make GISTnet widely and
conveniently available to all who may have even occasional benefit from our
information. Our company subscription fee is therefore based on a discounted
sliding scale. The more users, the lower cost per user. We also offer discounts
to subscribers who are willing to make longer term commitments.
Current subscription rates
|Global + U.S.||Global Only||Country Guides Only|
|Company subscription (up to 5 users)||$500/year||$375/year||$300/year|
|Company subscription (up to 10 users)||$800/year||$600/year||$480/year|
|Company subscription (up to 50 users)||$100/month||$75/month||$600/year|
|Per headcount, 50+ users||$2.00/month||$1.50/month|
|Per headcount, 500+ users||$1.50/month||$1.13/month|
|Per headcount, 1000+ users||$1.00/month||$0.75/month|
The actual subscription fee is computed on the total number of employees,
less those categories of employees who would never have reason to use GISTnet
(i.e., individuals engaged solely in accounting functions, cargo handling,
To subscribe, please register (if you have not
already done so), and then complete the online
form, or contact us: email@example.com